The name of this Texas county should bring immediate memories of High School history classes. And, rightly so, it is named after Stonewall Jackson, the famous leader of the Confederate Army during the Civil War. While the County has undergone many changes since the revolutionary days, much exploration has occurred, from agriculture to gold to oil. Today, health insurance is essential to Stonewall County residents. Whether in the big city of Austin or the tiny town of Aspermont, CoverMile can help you find health insurance that isn’t a stone wall to your finances.
We at CoverMile are here to help you find the best health insurance plans in Stonewall County at the lowest prices. Coverage exists for as low as $0 per month with subsidies. Continue below, and we can show you how.
2023 Health Insurance Facts in Stonewall County, Texas
Texas has one of the country’s highest exchange enrollments, with 2.4 million for 2023. Only Florida ranks higher. Texas also holds the highest uninsured rate in the country at 22.1 percent. It has held that position since the exchange system was implemented.
Here are additional facts about health insurance in Texas.
- According to a US Census estimate, Stonewall County has a population of 1182 residents. Of that total, 23.1 percent are uninsured.
- By gender, those insured, 51.3 percent were female, and 48.7 percent were men.
- Eighty-seven percent of consumers have access to three or more insurers in 2023. Through the ACA, Stonewall County has access to four insurance providers.
- Fifty-nine percent of consumers have access to a plan from a national insurer; companies like Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas are available to more than just a local area.
- 79.7 percent of Stonewall County has health coverage. 40.9 percent obtain it with their employer, while 6.73 percent have it through non-group plans. 15.8 percent have Medicare insurance, 14.9 percent have insurance through Medicaid, and 1.32 percent obtain health care through the VA or the military.
- The national median average of those who smoke is 20.0 percent. Stonewall County’s average is 19.8 percent.
- The average cost of a Silver health insurance plan in Texas is $454
Here are a few fun facts about the square County itself:
- Stonewall County was named after Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson. He was a Confederate General during the American Civil War.
- The Double Mountain was used as a landmark for Spanish explorers for navigation.
- The Brazos River begins in Stonewall County. It is the longest river in Texas, flowing from the Double Mountain through Waco to the Gulf of Mexico.
- Rath City, in southern Stonewall County, was one area where buffalo hunters and plains tribe Indians clashed.
- Stonewall County only has four towns besides its county seat of Aspermont: Flat Top, Old Glory, Peacock, and Swenson.
- However, Stonewall County does have three ghost towns: Antioch, Oriana, and Swenson.
Do I Need Health Insurance in Stonewall County, TX?
Health insurance for all is no longer a federal mandate. Only a handful of states still require an individual to carry health insurance. However, if you remain uninsured, it opens the door to many issues you may not consider.
- Healthcare costs.When you don’t carry health insurance, you pay full price. Think of health insurance as having a membership to your favorite chain store. When you present your card, you receive a discount. Health insurance acts the same way. Insurance companies contract with medical facilities to provide care to individuals at a negotiated rate.
- Healthcare networks.You may need to see a specialist after you see your regular doctor or provider. Having insurance provides you with a network of doctors and facilities. This helps ease the concern of searching on your own. Especially since seeking advanced medical care may burden an already stressful situation.
- Healthcare maintenance. Having health insurance provides you with free preventive care. This is due to the Affordable Care Act mandates. When you do not have health insurance, you will have to pay for these services out of pocket.
What are My Health Insurance Options in Stonewall County, Texas?
There are several options to find affordable health insurance for Individuals and families who need health care in Stonewall County. You can purchase through the ACA Marketplace or directly from the health insurance company.
Affordable Care Act/Marketplace – When insurance shopping through the Marketplace, you can search for a plan based on where you live, family size, and how much money you make annually. Based on that information, you can see if you qualify for premium tax credits and subsidies like cost-sharing reductions.
Direct Purchase – Before shopping for a direct purchase from a health insurance company website, verify you do not qualify for ACA tax credits and subsidies. You can save money if you are eligible. If not, continue with your direct purchase from a health insurance provider. In some cases, like with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas, you may have additional plan options only available on the insurance company’s website.
Short-term Health Insurance – Short-term Health Insurance can assist those seeking insurance, but: it may be too early in the year for Open Enrollment, you’ve just started a job, and a benefits package has a waiting period, or you are waiting for your Medicare benefits to begin. Short-term Health Insurance covers an initial period of 364 days and can be renewed for an additional 24 months. Keep in mind Short-term Health Insurance has limits. It does not cover preexisting conditions, maternity care, or prescription medication.
Types of Insurance – HMOs, EPOs, and PPOs are the most common health insurance network types. Some insurance companies offer multiple network options through the Marketplace or a direct purchase. When you enroll, keep your primary doctor in mind. They must be within the plan’s network for them to be covered. If they are not, you can incur out-of-network fees. Or, as with an EPO network, you may not have coverage at all.
Top Three Health Insurance Companies with the Highest Star Ratings in Stonewall County, TX
What a customer is willing to pay for their policy over time is one of the main details top insurance ratings evaluate. Health insurance shoppers then use reviews to consider which insurance companies are best and purchase based on their research.
To address this concern, we’ve rated the top companies available in Stonewall County based on their 2023 rates compared to their 2022 rates.
- Baylor, Scott, and White – 1.7% rate increase – Although experiencing a rise in 2023, Baylor, Scott, and White had one of the lowest price increases in the market. However, they don’t have as wide of a coverage area as other insurance carriers. They cover major cities such as Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and surrounding areas.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas – 3.42% rate increase – Although BCBS of Texas has had an increase in 2023, they have proven to be a strong and reliable insurance provider through the years. They have more plans available than other insurers; they also cover the entire state of Texas.
- · Ambetter – 10.7% rate increase – One primary benefit of Ambetter is that they offer Adult Dental and Vision options with some of their EPO network plans. Most insurance companies only provide the Children’s dental mandated by the ACA 10 Essential benefits. The one thing Ambetter lacks, however, is they do not offer a Bronze metal plan.
Top Six Health Insurance Plans for Stonewall County, TX
Below, we’ve selected the best Silver metal policies for Stonewall County, TX, from each of the above companies. They are in order as they reflect the cost of a standard policy without Cost Sharing reductions.
|Insurance company||Insurance Plan||Co-insurance||Deductible||Out-of-Pocket Max||Copay PCP/ Specialist||$0 Virtual Care PCP||Adult Dental/ Vision|
|Baylor Scott and White||Prime Silver 008 HMO||40%||$3400/ $6800||$7250/ $14500||$30*/$70||Fee Applies||No|
|Ambetter||Complete Silver EPO||40%||$5000/ $10000||$7250/ $14500||$20/$50||Yes||No|
|Baylor Scott and White||Prime Silver HMO 005 HMO||10%||$0/$0||$7250/ $14500||$45**/$85||Fee Applies||No|
|Ambetter||Focused Silver +Vision +Adult Dental EPO||50%||$5100 /$10200||$6300 /12600||$35/$85||Yes||Yes|
|BCBS of Texas||Blue Advantage Silver 205 HMO||50%||$1500/ $4500||$7250/ $14500||$15/50%||Fee Applies||Dental/ Vision as separate policies|
|BCBS of Texas||Blue Advantage Silver 705 HMO||40%||$5700/ $11400||$7200/ $14400||$30/$60||Fee Applies||Dental/Vision as separate policies|
*No charge for the first two sick visits. No charge for pediatric visits.
**No charge for the first sick visit.
How to Enroll in Health Insurance in Stonewall County, TX?
There isn’t much difference to the enrollment process whether you live in Orange, El Paso, Corpus Christi, or Stonewall County. Each must adhere to Affordable Care Act standards.
When – The Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment period begins on November 1st and ends on December 31st. Your insurance begins on January 1st. You also have a second opportunity deadline of January 15th, but your start date will be February 1st.
There are also Special Enrollment Periods (SEP) where one can enroll anytime during the year. You qualify for a SEP when:
- There is a change in your household. – This can include getting married or divorced; a birth or adoption in your family; or a death in the family.
- You have a change in your residence. – If you move out of your zip code, this may require an insurance rate adjustment.
- You have a change to your health coverage. – When you or your spouse lose health coverage provided through an employer or an alternative source, you can apply for health insurance.
How – The simplest way to apply for Texas health insurance is through the ACA Marketplace. It is quick, and the website guides you through the process. You fill out your application, select your plan, and through the process, you will be able to see if you qualify for tax subsidies.
If you have any questions when shopping for health insurance in Stonewall County, TX, contact CoverMile. We can help you find the best coverage that will fit your family’s current situation.
How to Find Doctors Near Me in Stonewall County, TX?
One of your concerns may be whether you will be able to keep your current doctor or if you will have to switch to someone new. You can find this information easily by visiting the insurer’s website and searching for your doctor’s or the facility’s name. This search will tell you if they are in-network or out-of-network.
The links below will take you to each provider’s website and directory. You can find out if your doctor or the facility you frequent is covered. You can search by location, doctor’s name, and facility type. Each website is different, and some offer more information than others.
After entering your location, you can search Medical Care, Urgent Care, Behavior Health, and Cost Estimates. You can also search for pharmacy information, as well as for dental and Vision care.
Enter your plan information and location, and you can find doctors and facilities in your area. You are also allowed to connect with Telehealth or talk with a nurse directly.
You begin by selecting your plan type. Then, you can choose the type of specialty you are searching for and your zip code. The search engine will show you all available doctors and facilities in that area based on the parameters you set up.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is insurance in Stonewall County, TX?
The average health insurance plan in Texas is $454. However, this price will vary depending on many factors. Insurance cost depends on an individual’s gender, age, marital status, family size, and other factors, such as what type of plan you select, where you live, and if you use tobacco products. Your premium can also change based on qualifying for tax credits and subsidies.
Can I talk to a doctor after hours in Stonewall County, TX?
If you are in a non-emergency situation and need to speak to a doctor after hours, you can contact your insurance’s Telehealth program. Most offer services 24/7. All you need is a phone or computer. Most ask a few medical questions and then connect you with a medical professional. It may require a small copay. Ambetter Telehealth services are at a $0 copay on all their plans.
Can I sign up for Oscar Insurance in Stonewall County, TX?
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas is one of three options for Stonewall County residents. However, Oscar Insurance is unavailable through the ACA Marketplace or sold on the open market through the company’s website.
Can I use my Stonewall County, TX, health insurance when I travel?
With most insurance companies, you have a network of doctors you must work with. However, you will have coverage if you travel out of state or country and experience a medical emergency. Yet, it does not cover any elective procedures.
Does health insurance affect my tax return in Stonewall County, TX?
If you qualify for a premium tax credit, you can receive a reduced premium on your Marketplace insurance plan. This information is determined by what you will file on your current year’s tax return. You pay the premium based on your current family dynamic, and at the end of the year, you reconcile when you file your taxes. If you have been paid too much, you must pay it back. If you have been paid too little, you will be given the balance due when you file your taxes. It is important you keep your personal information updated to prevent having to pay at the end of the year.
Am I able to get Dental or Vision Insurance in Stonewall County, TX?
Children’s Dental and Vision services are part of the mandated ACA 10 Essential Benefits but are limited. However, adults are not included. Ambetter offers Adult Dental and Vision on select plans. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas offers Dental and Vision benefits. These include children and adults, but it is sold separately from its health insurance plan. Visit their website for more information.