Even living amidst cattle country, health insurance is important to carry. You never know when you will need to see a doctor or visit a hospital. And you never know what to expect, just as the county’s namesake didn’t know what to expect heading into San Antonio to back up the defenders of the Alamo. With health insurance, you can be fully prepared whether you live in the rough hills of the west or the plains of the east. CoverMile is here to provide you with the information you seek, and you won’t have to surrender to the Mexican army to do it. Let’s take a look.
CoverMile helps you find the best health insurance plans in Cottle County at the lowest prices. Coverage exists for as low as $0 per month with subsidies. Read on, and we can show you how.
2023 Health Insurance Facts in Cottle County, Texas
Texas has one of the highest exchange enrollments, with 2.4 million for 2023. The only state that has more individual enrollees is Florida. We also have the highest uninsured rate of 22.1 percent. We’ve held that position since the exchange system’s implementation.
Here are additional facts about health insurance in Texas.
- According to a U.S. Census estimate, Cottle County has a population of 1,307 residents. Of that total, 19.4 percent are uninsured.
- By gender, of those insured, 44.7 percent were men, and 55.3 percent were female.
- Eighty-seven percent of consumers have access to three or more insurers in 2023. Through the ACA, Cottle County has access to three insurance providers.
- Fifty-nine percent of consumers have access to a plan from a national insurer; companies like Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas are available to more than just a local area.
- 88.8 percent of Cottle County has health coverage. 28.8 percent obtain it with their employer, while 20.9 percent have it through non-group plans. 12.6 percent have Medicare insurance, 25.3 percent have insurance through Medicaid, and just over 1 percent are through the V.A. or military.
- The average cost of a Silver health insurance plan in Texas is $454
Here are a few fun facts about the square County itself:
- Cottle County was named after George Washington Cottle. He fought in the Battle of Gonzalez and then died in the Battle of the Alamo.
- The Pease River breaks terrain in north Cottle County and runs west almost to Highway 82 and east into Hardeman County, Ford County, and Wilbarger County, ending in the Red River.
- Cottle County was once a dry county. Today, it allows beer and wine sales within its borders.
- The town of Cee Vee was originally named CV. However, its post office application did not accept initials; the town had to change its name to Cee Vee.
- Cottle County has several ghost towns: Dunlap, Narcisso, Ogden, Swearingen, and Valley View.
Do I Need Health Insurance in Cottle County, TX?
Only a few states still carry health insurance requirements; Texas isn’t one of them. However, if you do not purchase health insurance, you leave the door open to many healthcare issues you may not have considered.
- Healthcare costs.When you decide not to carry health insurance, you must pay full price. Think of health insurance as having a membership card to your local big box store. When you present your card, you receive a discounted price. Health insurance is the same. Insurance companies contract medical providers to treat individuals at a negotiated rate.
- Healthcare networks.If you require additional treatment after seeing your Primary Care Physician (PCP), health insurance provides you with a list of doctors and facilities. This eases the concern of searching for the least costly on your own. Especially since seeking advanced medical care may burden an already stressful situation.
- Healthcare maintenance.Health insurance provides you and your family with preventive care benefits. Under the Affordable Care Act, these services are mandated. When you do not have health insurance, you are required to pay out of pocket.
What are My Health Insurance Options in Cottle County, Texas?
There are several options for affordable health insurance for individuals and families in Cottle County. You can find your policy through the ACA Marketplace or a direct purchase from a health insurance company.
Affordable Care Act/Marketplace – When you sign up through the Marketplace website, you are given options, and you select the best plan for you and your family. The ACA website also informs you if you qualify for premium tax credits and subsidies like cost-sharing reductions.
Direct Purchase – If you believe you qualify for tax credits or subsidies, apply on the ACA website first. When you purchase direct from an insurance company, you will not have access to any ACA subsidies. Also, understand that rates may vary between on and off-exchange plans. However, some insurance companies offer more plan choices than they do on the Marketplace exchange.
Short-term Health Insurance – If you only need health insurance temporarily, Short Term Insurance may be an option. This type of policy provides insurance for those who only need coverage until Open Enrollment or are waiting for an employment benefits package to begin. It covers an initial period of 364 days and can be renewed for an additional 24 months. Understand that Short Term Health insurance has limitations. It doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, maternity care, or prescription medication.
Types of Insurance – Insurance companies work with certain network types. The primary three are HMOs, EPOs, and PPOs. When shopping for a plan, be cautious about out-of-network fees should the doctors or specialists you may use not be within your plan’s network.
Top Health Insurance Companies with the Highest Star Ratings in Cottle County, TX
What a customer is willing to pay for their policy over time is one of the main details top insurance ratings evaluate. Health insurance shoppers use those reviews to consider which insurance companies are best and purchase based on their research.
Below, we have listed the two primary companies within the Cottle County coverage area and their price increase over last year. *
- Baylor, Scott, and White – 1.7% increase – Although having an increase for 2023, Baylor, Scott, and White had one of the lowest price increases in the market. However, their coverage area is not as wide as other insurance carriers. They cover major cities such as Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and surrounding areas.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas – 3.42% increase –BCBS of Texas has had an increase in 2023 over 2022, yet they continue to prove to be a stronger and more reliable insurance provider through the years. They have more plans available than other insurers; this means you have options for you and your family. They are available statewide.
Top Health Insurance Plans for Cottle County, TX*
Below, we’ve selected each company’s best insurance policies for Cottle County, TX. They are in order as they reflect the cost of a standard policy without Cost Saving Reductions (CSR). We have listed Gold and Silver plans but understand that CSRs can only be used with Silver Plans.
|Insurance company||Insurance Plan||Co-insurance||Deductible||Out-of-Pocket Max||Copay PCP/ Specialist||$0 Virtual Care PCP||Adult Dental/ Vision|
|Baylor, Scott, and White||Elite Gold HMO 012||20%||$1500/ $3000||$9100/$18200||$0/$60||Fee Applies||No|
|Baylor, Scott, and White||Prime Silver HMO 008||40%||$3400/ $6800||$7250/$14500||$30/$70**||Fee Applies||No|
|BCBS of Texas||Blue Advantage Gold HMO 706||25%||$2000/$4000||$8700/$17400||$30/$60||Fee Applies||Dental/Vision as separate policies|
|Baylor, Scott, and White||Prime Silver HMO 005||10%||$0/$0||$7250/$14500||$45/ $85***||Fee Applies||No|
|BCBS of Texas||Blue Advantage Gold 603 HMO||40%||$1500/ $4500||$5000/ $10000||$45/40%||Fee Applies||Dental/ Vision as separate policies|
|BCBS of Texas||Blue Advantage Silver 205 HMO||50%||$1500/ $4500||$7250/$14500||$15/50%||Fee Applies||Dental Vision as separate policies|
*While we list Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas and Baylor, Scott, and White above, other options may be available.
**No charge for the first two sick Visits, $30 Copay per Visit for subsequent Visits in that plan year
***No charge for the first Sick Visit.
How to Enroll in Health Insurance in Cottle County, TX?
Whether you live in Cottle, El Paso, Corpus Christi, or Orange Counties, the enrollment process is pretty much the same. Each is bound by Affordable Care Act standards.
When – Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment runs between November 1st and December 31st, your health insurance will begin on January 1st. There is also a late enrollment period where you have until January 15th to enroll; however, your start date will be February 1st.
You can also enroll anytime through a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). You can sign up if you meet certain criteria. You qualify when:
- There is a life change in your household. – This includes getting married or divorced; a birth or adoption; or there is a death in the family.
- You have a change in your residence. – If you move out of your zip code, this may require an adjustment to your insurance rate.
- You have a change to your health coverage. – When you or your spouse lose health coverage provided by an employer or an alternative source, you can apply for ACA health insurance.
How – The easiest way to apply is through the Marketplace. It is fast, and the website guides you through the process. It also provides you with an answer as soon as you complete your application. You will also know if you qualify for tax subsidies and see how it will factor into your policy’s cost.
If you have questions about health insurance in Cottle County, contact CoverMile. We can assist you with finding the best coverage and guide you through the sign-up process.
How to Find Doctors Near Me in Cottle County, TX?
One main concern of insurance shoppers is whether their Primary Care Physician (PCP) will be covered. You can find out easily by visiting an insurance company’s website and searching for your doctor or the facility’s name. This will tell you if they are in-network or out-of-network.
The links below will take you to each provider’s website and directory. You can search by location, doctor’s name, and facility type. Each website is different, and some offer more information than others.
After entering your location, you can search Medical Care, Urgent Care, Behavior Health, and Cost Estimates. You can also search for pharmacy information, as well as for Dental and Vision care.
You begin by selecting your plan type. Then, you can choose the type of specialty you are searching for or by your zip code. The search engine will show you all available doctors and facilities in that area based on the parameters you set up.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is health insurance expensive in Cottle County, TX?
The average health insurance plan in Texas is $454. How much your family will pay will depend on your age, family size, the plan you select, and whether you use tobacco. Qualifying for tax credits and subsidies will also determine your plan premium. Contact CoverMile we can help you sign up and determine your premium with subsidies.
Can I sign up for Oscar Insurance in Cottle County, TX?
Unfortunately, Oscar Insurance is not available in Cottle County. You can apply for health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield or Baylor, Scott, and White, which are available. You can also contact CoverMile, and we can assist you in applying for coverage.
Can I be denied Obamacare Insurance due to pre-existing conditions in Cottle County, TX?
One benefit of Affordable Care Act insurance, or Obamacare, is that you cannot be denied coverage for your pre-existing conditions. Nor can a health insurance company limit your coverage in any way. You have full benefits from the day you sign up. There is no waiting period.
Are there options to the Marketplace in Cottle County, TX?
In addition to applying through the Marketplace, you can purchase health insurance directly from the insurance company’s website. Next, if you are lower income, you may qualify for Medicaid. When applying through the ACA website, you will be notified if you qualify for Medicaid. Finally, if you are within six months of your 65th birthday, you can begin the process of applying for Medicare.
Am I able to get Dental or Vision Insurance in Cottle County, TX?
The Affordable Care Act’s 10 Essential Benefits only covers Children’s Dental and Vision services, and they are limited. In addition, adults are not included. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas offers Dental and Vision benefits. These include children and adults, but it is sold separately from its health insurance plan. Visit their website for more information.