If you have never heard of Loving County, TX, it is no surprise. It is the least populated county in the United States. But if you live here, you know and are most likely proud of the map drop you call home. However, whether you live in Austin or Mentone, you need health insurance. This is where we at CoverMile enter the picture. Living in such a small county, it may be confusing about which health insurance provider is available to you. In Loving County, you have options for you and your family. Even Lee Child couldn’t have written it better.
CoverMile is here to help you find the best health insurance plans in Loving County, TX, at the lowest prices. You can find coverage for as low as $0 per month with subsidies. Read on, and we can show you how.
Health Insurance Facts for 2023 in Loving County, Texas
Health insurance in Texas is unique. While Loving County is the smallest county in the U.S., the state has one of the highest exchange enrollments in the country, with 2.4 million for 2023. Only Florida beats us. Texas also holds the highest uninsured rate in the country at 22.1 percent. We have held that position since the exchange system was implemented.
Here are additional facts about health insurance in Texas.
- According to a U.S. Census estimate, Loving County has a population of 51 residents. Of that total, 11.4 percent are uninsured.
- By gender, of those insured, 73.9 percent were men, and 26.1 percent were female.
- Currently, through the ACA, Eighty-seven percent of Texas insurance shoppers have access to three or more companies in 2023. This is unchanged from 2022. Loving County has access to three insurance providers.
- 88.9 percent of the Loving County population has health coverage. Most through an employer, 41 percent. This study shows that none are on Medicaid or military plans, but 37.3 are on non-group plans, and 10.3 percent are on Medicare.
- Overall, Fifty-nine percent of national consumers have access to coverage from a national insurer; these include companies like Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas, which is available in every state.
- The average cost of a Silver health insurance plan in Texas is $454
Here are a few fun facts about the tiny county itself:
- The oldest building in Loving County is a church built in 1910 in Porterville; it now resides in Mentone.
- There are three ghost towns in Loving County: Hay Flatt, Porterville, and Woody.
- Loving County is an unincorporated town; however, it is the County Seat.
- Country singer Charlie Robison wrote a song called “Loving County” about oilfield working, lost love, and prison life.
- Author Lee Child of the Jack Reacher series wrote of Loving County in his novel Echo Burning.
Do I Need Health Insurance in Loving County, TX?
In 2019, the federal mandate to carry health insurance was rescinded. Today, only a handful of states still have this law; Texas isn’t one of them. However, when you choose not to purchase health insurance, even in a small county such as Loving, you open the door to issues you may not think about.
- Healthcare costs. When you do not have health insurance, you pay full price for your health care. Think of health insurance as having a membership card to your favorite shopping locale. When you present your card to the cashier, you receive a discounted rate. Health insurance behaves the same. Insurance companies’ contract with medical facilities to provide care to individuals at a negotiated rate.
- Healthcare networks. First, you usually receive treatment from your regular doctor or provider. After that initial appointment, should you need advanced medical care, health insurance provides a connected list of doctors and facilities. This can help you locate a doctor fast, easing worries. Especially since looking for a specialist or care facility may add burdens to an already stressful situation.
- Healthcare maintenance.Having health insurance provides you and those under your plan with preventive care services that are free in most cases due to the Affordable Care Act; they are mandated. When you do not have health insurance, you will have to pay for these services out of pocket.
What are My Health Insurance Options in Loving County, Texas?
Individuals and families have options for healthcare in Loving County. One can purchase health insurance through the ACA Marketplace or directly from a health insurance company. Each option has its benefits.
Affordable Care Act/Marketplace – When you sign up for ACA insurance, you and your family can select from the best plans available. The site will also inform you if you qualify for premium tax credits and subsidies like cost-sharing reductions.
Direct Purchase – Before purchasing directly from an insurance company, it is always best to check with the ACA website to see if you qualify for tax credits and subsidies. You don’t want to leave money on the table. If you do not qualify, you still have options with a direct purchase from a provider. In some cases, more. However, compare with Marketplace plans as some prices may differ as well as benefits.
Types of Insurance – When shopping for an insurance plan, whether through the Marketplace or Direct, the insurance company may give you network options. The primary three are HMOs, EPOs, and PPOs. Each insurance company works with one or more of these network types. When you choose your plan, you choose your network type. However, when you find your plan, be cautious of out-of-network fees should your doctor or specialist not be within your plan’s network.
Short-term Health Insurance – When you only need health insurance for a short period of time, Short-Term insurance may be an option for you. It is designed to bridge the gap from today until the ACA Open Enrollment or when your employer’s benefits begin. Short-term insurance covers an initial period of 364 days and can be renewed for an additional 24 months. Short Term Health insurance does have limitations. It does not cover preexisting conditions, maternity care, or prescription medication.
Top Health Insurance Companies with the Highest Star Ratings in Loving County, TX
If you are searching for health insurance in Loving County, you may wonder which insurance company you should select for your family. You may have questions about how much premiums are, how much they’ve charged in the past, and what your future costs may look like. To answer this concern, we have rated the two companies available in Loving County based on their 2023 rates as compared to their 2022 rates.
- Baylor, Scott, and White – 1.7% increase – Although having an increase in 2022, Baylor, Scott, and White has one of the lowest price increases in the market. However, they do not have as wide of a coverage area as other insurance carriers. Covering major city areas such as Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas – 3.42% increase – Although BCBS of Texas has seen an increase this year, they have shown to be a strong and reliable insurance provider. They have more plans available than other insurers; this gives you and your family more options. They also cover the entire state of Texas.
Top Six Health Insurance Plans for Loving County, TX
Below we’ve selected the best insurance policies for Loving County, TX. Three from each of the two above companies. They are in order as they reflect the cost of a standard policy without Cost Sharing reductions.
|Insurance company||Insurance Plan||Co-insurance||Deductible||Out-of-Pocket Max||Copay PCP/ Specialist||$0 Virtual Care PCP||Adult Dental/ Vision|
|BCBS of Texas||Blue Advantage Plus Bronze 305 HMO||50%||$6100/ $17400||$9100/ $18200||40%/50%||Fee Applies||Dental/ Vision as separate policies|
|Baylor, Scott, and White||Elite Gold HMO 012||20%||$1500/ $3000||$9100/$18200||$0/$60||Fee Applies||No|
|Baylor, Scott, and White||Prime Silver HMO 008||40||$3400/ $6800||$7250/$14500||$30/$70*||Fee Applies||No|
|BCBS of Texas||Blue Advantage Silver 205 HMO||50%||$1500/ $4500||$7250/$14500||$15/50%||Fee Applies||Dental Vision as separate policies|
|BCBS of Texas||Blue Advantage Silver 705 HMO||40%||$5700/ $11400||$7200/$14400||$30/$60||Fee Applies||Dental/Vision as separate policies|
|Baylor, Scott, and White||Prime Silver HMO 005||10%||$0/$0||$7250/$14500||$45$95||Fee Applies||No|
*Adults: No charge for the first 2 sick visits. Copay thereafter. Children: No copay charge.
How to Enroll in Health Insurance in Loving County, TX?
Whether you live in Loving, Orange, Corpus Christi, or Dallas Counties, there is not much difference in the enrollment process. Each is bound by Affordable Care Act standards.
When – The Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment period begins on November 1st of each year and ends on December 31st. Your coverage starts on January 1st. You also have until January 15th to late enroll. Your coverage date will then be February 1st.
You can also qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP), where one may enroll anytime during the year. You are eligible for a SEP when:
- There is a change in your household. – This includes getting married or divorced; adding a family member through birth or adoption; or there is a death in the family.
- You have a change of residence. – Moving out of your zip code may require an adjustment to your insurance rate.
- There is a change with your health coverage. – When you or your spouse lose health coverage provided through an employer or from an alternative source, you can apply for health insurance.
How – The most common method is through the ACA Marketplace website. Signing up is quick, and the site guides you through the process. As soon as you complete your application, you will receive an answer. The application also lets you know if you qualify for tax subsidies. If you are eligible, it will factor your savings into your policy’s cost.
If you have any questions when shopping for health insurance in Loving County, TX, contact CoverMile. We’re here to assist you with finding the best coverage for you and your family and guiding you through the health insurance sign-up process.
How to Find Doctors Near Me in Loving County, TX?
One of the main concerns when you are in a small community such as Loving is whether you can continue to see your regular doctor or if you will need to search for a new one. You can find your answer on the insurance company’s website. Input their name or the facility they are part of into their directory, and it will tell you if they are in-network or out-of-network.
To assist you, we have provided the links below that will take you to each provider’s website and their medical provider’s directory. You can search by location, doctor’s name, and facility type. Keep in mind that each website is different, and some offer more information than others.
After entering your location, you can search Medical Care, Urgent Care, Behavior Health, and Cost Estimates. You can also search for pharmacy information, as well as for dental and Vision care.
You begin by selecting your plan type. Then you can choose the type of specialty you are searching for, then your zip code. The search engine will show you all available doctors and facilities in that area based on the parameters you set up.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is health insurance available in Loving County, TX?
Even in a small community such as Loving, you can find health insurance. While you only have three options available, you are sure to find a plan that will meet your and your family’s needs. If you need assistance, CoverMile is here to assist you in finding a health insurance plan for you and your family.
Do I need to wait for Open Enrollment to sign up for health insurance in Loving County, TX?
Most of the time, yes, you must wait for Open Enrollment which begins on November 1st and continues through December 31st of each year. However, if you have a qualifying event, you may apply through a Special Enrollment Period. These include if you just got married, you recently lost a job that provided you benefits, or your family had a birth or adoption.
Can I sign up for Oscar Insurance in Loving County, TX?
Oscar Insurance is not available through the ACA Marketplace, nor is it sold on the open market through its website in Loving County.
Is my health insurance available if I travel outside of Loving County, TX?
Health insurance provides you with a local network of providers and facilities. When you travel outside your network, you pay more when you seek treatment. With some insurance companies, you do not have coverage at all. However, in an emergency, all policies allow you coverage in a hospital or other medical facility. Read your policy carefully to see if you need to do anything before you travel.
Is there a penalty for not having health insurance in Loving County, TX?
The Affordable Care Act is no longer mandated. However, if you don’t have health insurance in Texas, you will pay more for health care. Texas has its own health care and poverty level regulations. This can be risky if you do not qualify for either Medicaid or Marketplace subsidies. It would leave you with purchasing health insurance out of pocket or going without.
If I have insurance available through my job, can I get ACA insurance in Loving County, TX?
This is an interesting question. It would depend on how much your insurance is through your job. If the federal government deems your job’s insurance affordable, then you would be required to purchase that insurance over the Marketplace plan. However, if they see that your employer’s benefits package is too expensive, you would be given the option to choose between your employer’s insurance and applying for ACA insurance.
Can I apply for Dental or Vision Insurance in Loving County, TX?
This would depend on the insurance company you apply for. Insurance plans themselves do not offer dental and Vision other than Children’s Dental, which is mandated as part of the 10 Essential Benefits with the ACA. These are very limited and do not include adults. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas does offer a Dental benefits plan, but it is separate from its health insurance plan. Visit their website for more information.